• Kasia Szczęsna

Digital Portfolio - Mental health project #6 final outcome

I didn't work much on this project over the Christmas, but I had time to think about the format and what I wanted to do as the final outcome. I liked the idea of the UV print so this was one feature that I was certain about.

Because I wanted to make my project interactive and yet educational in a way. There is a lot of research done on how writing helps people with depression and anxiety with their mental health state. Journaling, for example, lets you take control and make you more aware which have been proved by many researchers. Keeping this in mind, I didn't want to create another book that might be even considered as overwhelming for some people. Finally, it got to me - postcards. Small format, almost pocket size and they don't require a lot of effort to scribble sth on the back.

I was deliberating whether I should make more visuals and use the materials I've got from Persia, but in the end I decided to use mostly typography as I wanted to make the series coherent. I started exploring what else I could include to make it more interesting visually. In Illustrator and then Photoshop (adding textures), I created letters that says Persia's name. The idea was to place one letter on one post card. It didn't look terrible, but in my opinion it was too playful for the main subject.

I also wasn't so sure about the font I picked - Prime. I tried two other bolder ones - Arial Black and Hiragino Kaku Gothic StdN (W8) and I decided to go with the last one.

After I had prepared foundation for my postcards, it was time to create more visuals. I've got inspired by lineart illustrations because those ones are the most common in people scrapbooks. I didn't want to make something too clean and detailed as this was not the point of my project. It was all about creating some kind of a scrapbook or a diary so that the visuals should to be simple.

Using iPad Pro and an Apple pen, I created six different illustrations that relate to the statistics.

Having done that, it was time to create mockups. It is hard to show on a static mockup the change between normal light and the UV light. So I recorded a video while I'm changing the light and then in Adobe After Effects, I created a GIF that visualises the change. I had four different layers, two being a video, one my postcard and then the last one, text that shows when the UV light is on.

I had to use different Blending modes to be able to see all the layers. With the UV text, I changed the opacity so that it matches the video.

MY FINAL OUTCOME

I designed a series of postcards using typography and lineart illustrations which I've made using iPad Pro and an Apple pen. At first glance, they show only general statistics which are written in very official way on purpose. They still provide a basic knowledge about mental health, but it is more about what is hidden on the paper. After using a UV light, a true message is revealed - personal experiences and 'someone's private reality'.

For this series, I used quotes from my friend's diary in which she was describing her own experiences. They all relate to the statistics visible on the postcard in one way or the other. I used handwriting to create a more personal feeling while reading the postcards.

I think this format suits my purpose as like I mentioned in the previous post, my target audience are people who suffered from mental health problems or their close friends/family. Reading someone else's reality (UV text) can make them feel something that they would like to share so that's why the back page is empty.



Reference list:

Robinson, K. (2020). How Writing in a Journal Helps Manage Depression. [online] WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/depression/features/writing-your-way-out-of-depression#1


46 wyświetlenia