• Kasia Szczęsna

Digital Design Portfolio: Project ideas

Aktualizacja: sty 2

For each project, we will have to create the briefs on our own to match the outcome we created. Each brief should include: overview, context, research, form, scope, tools & methods.

Personally, I think that there is no one correct way of approaching this brief. I will focus on my research and initial design first and then, towards the end of the project, I will sum up everything I found in the final briefs.

#1 - DATA VIS PROJECT

I started diving into my project from downloading the data from the Instagram's official website. I ended up with thousands lines of data that were categorised in a very brief way (my followers, people I follow, list of all my comments and likes, tags I use etc.). I tried to find different websites that allow people downloading data, but most of the social media, including Instagram accounts, analytics are paid and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on this project.

After downloading the data, I exported them to the Excel file and I started manually creating categories. I thought it would be easier to pick only one category so between my followers (800+|) and following (500+), I picked my followers. I also added a column name on top and I tried to divide my 'Instagram friends' into subcategories like: status (if I know or don't know them), category (place I know them from), hi (if we're saying hi to each other) and text (if we're texting sometimes via social media).

I think it was interesting to see that most of the people that follow me are complete strangers or an old friends that I don't have any contact with. This was only my first attempt in creating an ordered list of people, but I definitely need to look into more ways of doing it.


I also looked at different ways of visualising the data and I had to figure up whether I want to create a simple graphic design infographic or to do it in more interactive way, using coding or at least prototyping in programs like Adobe XD.

I found some interesting codes available on a Observable website, which I could use and transport to achieve my final outcome.


#2 - MUD-GAME INSPIRED PROJECT

When I was younger I remember when my older brother was playing games on the computer. For me, it was really interesting to see a black-screen game with no visuals and only plain text. Back then, I didn't know English language so for me it was hard to understand why he was always so involved in the gameplays where he couldn't see anything. I didn't know how much these world were developed and how much players could do, even without amazing graphics.


My main inspiration came from my childhood and recently on reddit I discovered a subreddit about these games and I started digging. According to Wikipedia, "A MUD (originally multi-user dungeon, with later variants multi-user dimension and multi-user domain) is a multiplayer real-time virtual world, usually text-based. MUDs combine elements of role-playing games, hack and slash, player versus player, interactive fiction, and online chat. Players can read or view descriptions of rooms, objects, other players, non-player characters, and actions performed in the virtual world. Players typically interact with each other and the world by typing commands that resemble a natural language" .


What became really interesting to me is the fact that MUDs are all about the story they tell and that people are still interested in these games. Of course, at the beginning MUDs did not have any graphics, but with time they game developers started to implement some text-generated graphics, using so-called ASCII art.

My idea was to create a game inspired by MUDs - without any big visuals and focused mainly on text and storyline. I started to think it would be an interesting idea to implement my creative practice as a designer in a story that the game would be about. From the very beginning, my plan was to code the game and allow other people to try it using simply the browser.


Reference list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD